Monday, March 1, 2010

When life hands you lemons.....


Commitment: 
Doing what you said you were going to do, long after the feeling that you said it in, has passed. 

I've been thinking about it lately, and I've come to the conclusion that the quality I admire most in a person is their commitment.   Without commitment, you simply cannot be successful in anything.   

"If you deny yourself commitment, what can you do with your life?" 
- Harvey Fierstein 

The world we live in today is severely lacking in this quality.  People commit to nothing anymore.  Everyone wants a "trial run."    Most of us won't buy anything unless it comes with a 30 day money back guarantee.   The minute things get difficult, marriages are discarded, jobs are walked out on, and dreams are left to collect dust.  And more and more when we're asked to do something, or be somewhere, we mutter those famous words: "I'll try."  

Sometimes it's easy when we're in the moment to say "yes," to take those vows, to proclaim our goals and hopes for the future.... but when the reality of everyday life sets in, we find ourselves looking for an easy way out. 

Sure, look before you leap, but when you say it,
 let your yes mean yes.   

There are many things in my life that I have made a commitment to.  My faith, my marriage, my family, my business.    And though it's been difficult at times, and I've just wanted to give up, to start over, to get out.... I remind myself that I didn't say "I'll try," I said "I will."   

The most difficult time in my life, my mom grabbed me by the shoulders, looked me in the eyes, and said "you can get past this, and looking back, it will just be a bump in the road."   And she was right.   If you're willing to work, things will always get better.    Commit, say "no matter what" and really mean it.   Stay on the path you've chosen, and hold on during the bumpy parts!

"This too shall pass"
  

11 comments:

  1. I love this post! That is a reminder we can all use; at least I know I can. I really liked the last part!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SO TRUE, Ashley! Thank you so much for the reminder! P.S. I love your layout design on here - it's so cute! :o) Have a great day and I will be sending out your package today. I'm sorry it didn't go out yesterday but I had to TRY and catch up on all of my work after being out most of last week. Big hugs! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will not throw in the towel! I will not throw in the towel.

    Thanks for an inspiring post today. You reek of awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous post to read this morning! Love it. World - here I come!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, girl! It's so true! And yes, you MUST see Dear John. When is Rome was cheesy, Dear John was just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. CRAZY!!!! I just copied that postsecret to my pictures on my computer!!! LOVE it! You are so inspiring!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So well-spoken and so true! Another great post, girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just ♥ you! It's like you can read my mind. I was just thinking these exact things because I hae stumbled along my way alot lately and I just realized I need to pick myself up again, and do what I know is right. LOVED this post and your thoughtful words. -xo-

    ReplyDelete