Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Blast from the past: In this diary


So, I've mentioned before my love for journaling (spellcheck says that it's not a word, but I'm keeping it anyway). I've kept a diary since I was 5 and I love to look back on all of my diaries and journals, it is true comedy and tragedy....but mostly comedy. One thing I noticed last night as I was looking through the stack is a common theme in each of the books. In each book, the first 10 or so pages were left blank. You see, whenever I started a journal, I always figured that the first few pages should be really great. A great story, poem, song, or piece of art. Why?! I have no idea. And more importantly, what in the world does that say about me? That I'm a perfectionist. Someday in the far future I knew that someone someday would find my journals and read them, and heaven forbid if they weren't the best journals anyone has ever happened upon. I didn't want the very first entry to be about something boring, like "today I went to the dentist," or "I saw a great movie today." I find it kind of sad that even at the age of 10 I was thinking about what other people would think about MY diary!! I've always thought a little bit too much about what others think of me. But the older I get, the more confident I get, and the less I care. The fact of the matter is, I write for me, not anyone else. So, today I hereby solemnly swear to write in the first 10 pages of all future journals, even if it is just about a day at the dentist.

Oh and while we're on the subject, here is a hilarious list I found in one of the above mentioned journals. I wrote this when I was 12, it's a list of things "good things" and "bad things" :

Good Things:

Babies
Love stories
Boys
Music
Roses
Sunflowers
Books
Writing
Candy
Friends
X-Files (haha...my personal favorite)
Summer
Mail
Andy
Dreams
Stars

Bad Things:

Homework
Scary Movies
Weighing 90 pounds
Roller Coasters
Bratty People
Robby!!! (my bother)
Rejection
Fights
Groundings
Parents!

Haha...oh to have the problems of a 12 year old. At least the good did outweigh the bad.


3 comments:

  1. oh my gosh girl...i found my early high school diary a while back at my parents' house and it was too funny! If I only knew then what "grownup" problems were I may have not been such a brat! LOL Hope your having a great day! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny -- about the blank first pages.

    I used to think "what if something happens to me and my mom reads all this?!"

    ReplyDelete