Saturday, February 13, 2010

Sliding Doors


Have you ever seen the movie Sliding Doors? It's an older movie with Gwyneth Paltrow (who I love). The movie takes you through two different realities of the main character, Helen. In one reality, she is on her way home and catches the subway, in the other, she misses it. It goes on to show how one insignificant thing, like missing the subway that day, changes the rest of her life.

I've always found that fascinating to think about. It's amazing to me how one tiny moment can change everything. Being somewhere, saying something, or waking up late, can redefine your life.

I don't believe in fate. I don't believe in destiny.
I do believe in choices.

It's crazy to think about just how much our everyday choices impact our lives. For instance, had I not decided to go with my friends to a concert 8 years ago, I never would have met Noah, who asked me for my phone number. Had I not given Noah my number, he never would have called me and asked me to go out with him. Had I not agreed to hang out with him and some friends, he never would have brought along Jake. If Jake had been busy that night, he never would have tagged along, and we never would have started talking.... we never would have started dating, we never would have gotten married.

All because I went to a concert.

It kind of makes me realize how important the choices we make are, even when it's something that seems small. You never know when a small moment might turn into a big one.

I'm sure there are many moments I've missed because they happened too early in the morning! I have got to start going to bed earlier!

The living moment is everything.
~D.H. Lawrence

7 comments:

  1. It's amazing how one thing changes your life forever... Sliding Doors was a very good movie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite movies. Isn't is amazing how one small decision can alter our lives so much? Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen that movie in years -- I need to watch it again. I remember liking it a whole lot.

    As a huge fan of the show LOST, I have been thinking a ton about choices and destiny and fate. (Do you watch it? This is the last season and they are doing this "flash sideways" thing where it shows the characters living out their lives in two different realities. In one, their plane crashed and they are living on crazy island. In the other, the plane doesn't crash, but some of the things that happen in L.A. after they land still lead them to meet each other.)

    So, this has me thinking: would you have met Jake some other way if it hadn't happened that night? Would I have still ended up meeting my hubs if I hadn't worked at the same restaurant as he did?

    I do not know. I just do not know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOOOVEEE SLIDING DOORS. One of my all time fav movies. Great concert story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I'm a big LOST fan. Love that show. I don't believe in Destiny or Fate, but I guess I believe in second chances. Actually, I have known Jake since we were 15 and we had mutual friends, so there is a possibility we would have ended up dating, it just wasn't until that night did we ever really connect in any way. I've just always wondered if we ever would have had it not been for that night.

    I know...it's all crazy to think about. Kind of makes my head hurt...haha. LOST sure does have me confused on the whole thing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh sounds like a great movie! I think about stuff like that too! Hope your having a great night! Wonder how things would be different if I didn't close my laptop right now?{haha} XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that movie. If I catch it while flipping through the channels, I always stop. It makes you realize that even if something seems really awful at the time, it may end up being the best thing for you. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete